Summertime calls for salad. Tangy, hearty, sexy salad.
Salad should definitely involve carbs .
Potatoes are a happy choice. Pasta’s a friend that’s always welcome, too.
Rice likes to get involved.
Let’s not even consider making a salad without spring onions. That would be wrong…
I don’t even want to think about it.
Potatoes + green veg + horseradish and yoghurt dressing – it’s happening.
Use your hands. Grab a fork.
- 500g new potatoes, washed with skins left on
- 2 generous handfuls of mixed salad leaves
- 3 spring onions, roughly chopped
- 1 medium courgette, sliced into ribbons using a vegetable peeler
- 1 handful cocktail gherkins, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons capers, roughly chopped
- Bunch of mint, stalks removed and roughly chopped
For the dressing:
- 100ml Greek yoghurt
- 50ml of the juice your cocktail gherkins come in
- 2 teaspoons creamy mild horseradish
Meanwhile prepare the salad. In a large bowl throw in the leaves, spring onions, gherkins, capers, mint and courgette and set aside.
To make the dressing, add the gherkin juice to the yoghurt and whisk until the yoghurt has loosened in consistency. Add the horseradish and generously season, then whisk again and set aside.
Once the potatoes are cooked and have cooled entirely (or slightly – no biggie), slice them in half and add them to the rest of the salad.
Then all that’s left to do is pour over the yoghurt dressing, toss well and garnish with some more mint, because mint makes everything better.
P.s. tastes better with sunshine.
Makes 2 large or 4 small portions.